Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thursday, July 14th

This week has been busy with house work. We had business, budget, and goal setting meetings early in the week (yes, we really operate this way) and with the garden chugging along and the goats growing and grazing away we are focusing all our energy (and money) on Grace's room remodel. We WILL finish before the start of school in late August. We are done with drywall and spackle now and we went supply shopping and got paint, primer, light fixtures, carpet, shelving, closet things, trim, and a few accessories. We are all set to get the room done in the next week or so and then we just need to get furniture, curtains, and a few more fancy bits and we will finally be done! We'll have pictures up soon! And then we'll be ready to start the next big project! What will it be? I know what it is, but I'm not telling.

Garden
We are eating out of the garden almost every day now! And our diet is getting more varied all the time. We have had greens and turnips galore of course, but now we are eating potatoes, broccoli, and cabbage too. We have had a pepper and a cucumber with plenty more of those just about ready as well as peas, beans, beets, summer squashes, carrots, and tomatoes coming soon. It seems so late in the year to be just getting some of these things, but remember, it was the wettest grayest summer in quite a long time and we got a late start. Plus with our climate it is about a month "earlier" here than it is in the valley, so we are not quite as behind as it seems.We have so many great improvements and expansions in the works too. Nothing is as good as having plenty of really good food all the time. And it's just so fun! We are taking with Grace's school about starting a school garden as well. Because we don't have enough to do.

Cheese
I have been taking a bit of a cheese break. I am mad at my cheese press and my aging box and am sulking about it. Plus I have been more excited about some other projects right now. It spite of that we have been just starting to eat some of the cheddars I put up a few months ago, and they have been pretty good. A little drier than I would like but very tasty. I will get my press and aging issues worked out soon and get back to work improving my cheeses. There is a ton of cheese ready to eat here soon, so I will have more of an idea of what I need to improve on.

No comments: