Monday, January 31, 2011

The new year is here. Planning, planning, planning.

So it's been a while but hey, this is a hobby about a hobby....  so priorities lie in the first one.

I am in the middle of a laundry list of projects and all of these have a time frame to be accomplished before April.  To make this crazyness understandable I will show you my list and then pick it apart.

  • Remodel Grace's bedroom.
  • Build chicken coop.
  • Build kidding pen.
  • Build a pig pen and shelter.

Grace's remodel!

So far so good, I am ahead of schedule and I have completed the teardown (this includes everything I can manage to take out and replace).  Now I am at the building point where I am installing a new subfloor and framing in 2 walk in closets and a built in workstation/desk.  I need to build all new walls in there since it was just cedar planks covering the walls.  So, I broke down today and got a compressor (lets call it a birthday present since today is that day) and a couple nail guns.  Totally worth it.  I ran out of lumber today otherwise I would have the closets completed.  I guess that's for tomorrow.

<Picture>


Chicken Coop



So far the plan is to build up the coop in a "Dead Space" where no light is available in the greenhouse.  So far we were able to put in a 12x12 concrete slab and I will be getting the walls up some time next week.  Our plan so far is to order 75 (yes seventy frikin' five) in a mixed lot, so we should expect half to be roosters (a.k.a.  Meat) and the others we will be choosy about who is going to produce the best hens for us in the future.  Megan will go into the types of chickens we are getting.  I just do the work.


<Picture>


As for the kidding pen, we aren't in a rush yet so this one seems like a spare time project.  We will be adding a small pen for our babies to live in wile they are being bottle fed.

The pig pen is in the same boat although much more involved because we are going to need to build shelter as well.  So planning stages at this point, but hey Bacon!

No comments: