Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"The trapping of the mole"

Ok, I hinted at this on my previous post and as per request here is what I do to keep the mole population down in my garden.  This method is the most humane way of killing moles that I have seen.  The traps are quick to kill and give obvious quick visual inspections.

I use "Cinch Mole Traps" these are available locally at Wilco in blue for around $22.00 a pair (two are needed for optimum performance)  I own 6 of them and I always have at least a pair just sitting in the batters deck waiting to go in the ground.




http://www.amazon.com/Cinch-Mole-Trap-Two-Pack/dp/B0053GHCP2/ref=pd_sbs_ol_2

http://www.amazon.com/Cinch-www-cinchtraps-com-C60-3B-Mole-Trap/dp/B002J86JLU/ref=pd_sim_misc_1

My property (as described by my neighbor) is "infested" with moles.  Now this has many meanings.

1. The property has not been managed in some time.
2. There must be a lot of worms in there.
3. The soil is not compact and has been loosened by all of this mole activity.

So we will all agree at this point that moles are not all bad.  I have even considered saving all the moles that I trap and skinning them for their hide.  It is some of the most beautiful and softest fir you will ever find.


On to the instructions:

Step 1
Find a fresh mole hole.  I like to take inventory of what mole holes are in the area and then look again in the morning (most mole activity happens at night) and spot the fresh mole holes by seeing the wet soil compared to the drier holes from the day prior (and yes, this is even noticeable when it rains).  I have never had any luck with a hole that was more than a day or two old.

Another way to detect moles, if they are not leaving holes but you may notice some of your plants are randomly wilting away or borderline dead.  Take a screw driver and probe around the suspect veggie.  If you feel a hollow spot then you have located your hole.  The mole now knows that there is a good treat in this hole so he is more likely to come beck.  These are great spots to try out.

Step 2
Dig out a 12" x 12" x 12" square hole directly over the selected mole hole.  You want to ensure your sides are sloped outward so that the walls don't fall into the hole and accidentally trip your traps or prevent them from tripping at all.   The main point here is to fully expose the mole tunnel so your traps will fit in there comfortably and you don't accidentally trip it while you are inserting it into the mole hole.

Step 3
Leave the trap and inspect it every 24 hours.  If your trap has not tripped in 48 hours then move it and place it in another location.   If the mole trap is tripped and remove the dead mole.  This trap is strong enough to snap the spine of a mole very fast and it usually does.  But on the rare occasion it will catch a paw of the mole.  this is why I check my traps first thing in the morning.  If a live mole is found remove him from the hole with the trap (Do not take him from the trap and release it, it will die if released)  The most humane way to deal with this is to kill it right off.  To do this take a machete or a heavy blunt object and strike just below the neck braking the spine immediately.  Do not hesitate and follow through.   Not doing so just makes the animal suffer.

Step 4
Tell the mole thanks for helping till your garden, but eating plants wasn't in his job description.    Don't laugh.  Even the life of a mole is worth something.


Here is a video of how to use the trap:

2 comments:

Megan said...

Mike you are too funny! I am commeting as per your request. Thank you for protecting my vegetables and I am looking forward to my mole-skin coat this winter.

Mike said...

Well, I was thinking how much I loved pecans, so I was thinking I would make some device to carry my pecans around in.