Monday, May 23, 2011

Rules

As many of you who know me may be aware, I am a compulsive rule follower. It makes me super anxious, and even physically uncomfortable to anything "against the rules." Even a perceived rule or something I think other may disapprove of makes me all squirmy inside. I drive the speed limit. I don't clock in early at work. I am always on time. I can't help it.

So of course I looked up our state laws regarding raw milk and cheese sales. And it turns out it is cool to sell it, but I can't advertise for it's sale and I can only sell it "at the premises where produced." So not Portland. Also I can't produce cheese for sale. So what are we going to do? I'll tell you what. We will make up some rules, because then we can follow them, and following rules makes everything more comfortable. For me.

Rule 1. Milk:
We can only sell milk at the farm. Please do not ask me to bring you milk to Portland. I cannot transport raw milk off of my farm for sales. Of course you can always ask me if I have milk. Like "Will you have a half gallon of milk available on Friday?" Or "Will there be a gallon of milk available on Saturday?" That way I will know to set it aside for you in the milk fridge and not make cheese or ice cream or yogurt with it. I will still update the blog with the days that I am at the farm too. But Mike will be there on days that I am not, so even if I am not there you can come to the farm and pick up your milk.

Rule 1.5 Milk Availability:
Please note that I can't guarantee milk availability if you don't ask. There will likely be a gallon or two in fridge most of the time, but I would hate for you to make a trip down and find that I have just added culture to the last of the milk. This is mostly for people who live outside the coast area. You can leave a comment in the blog, email me here: megansaddress@gmail.com, or call or text me here: 503-781-9457. It's just that easy.

Rule 2. Cheese:
I can't sell cheese. Period. The problem here is that I want to make lots of cheese and have people eat it and then tell me what they think about it and then make more cheese better than the stuff before until I am very very good at cheese! The main thing here is please don't leave me any comments about "can I buy some cheese?" or "how much is cheese?" The answer is "no" and "no cheese for sale." I will still blog about making cheese and about what cheese I have for eating now. And I will still have cheese for friends to taste. But not to buy. If you are interested in my blog and my cheese you can ask me if I have chevre, or feta, or cheddar. I love to talk about cheese.

That's it really. This way we are all on the up and up and poor Mike won't have to listen to me fret to myself. Thanks!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Almost all of our girls are weaned now so the milk production it staying pretty steady. With about 3 gallons of milk coming in a day from our 2 excellent milkers we should do ok this summer while Megan is still trying new things out in small batches of cheese. Next year should be nice. We will have 3 milkers most of the year then by the following year we should have at least 6 milkers! Wowee! If all goes as planned we should be getting 9-10 gallons of milk A DAY!!!!!!!! oh the cheeses Megan will make for ME*.





*doesn't mean anything.

PDXNurse said...

I'm officially crushed! No cheese for purchase!? WTF?